Friday, October 20, 2006

the secret life of fred

Often on Tuesdays and Fridays we send Frederique off to creche in one outfit and she comes home in another, though all the clothes in her bag are clean and dry. It was a little mystery which was today solved by Kylie, the director. She told Martin that at about 11 o'clock a small group of 3 or 4 girls creep off to the bathroom, strip down to nothing and try on each other's clothes.
When I was Fred's age, I used to hide under the director's desk every day and slip off my shoes. I lost several pairs doing this - no one knew where I was apparently (I don't think THAT would happen in a creche these days). Mum was Very Cross. But come on Mum admit it, you did think it was cute - on some level, right?
Fred's game accrues us as many clothes as we lose, its the great cycle of life, so her secret life isn't as potentially costly as mine was.

No comments:

Post a Comment